Six Fall Maintenance Tips from Custom Home Builders in Sonoma County, CA
So, you finally built your dream home. You’re all moved in and you can’t wait to see what the future will bring. But how sure are you that your custom dream home won’t turn into a nightmare? With proper home care and maintenance, you can rest much more easily. The good news is that there’s a lot homeowners like you can likely do on your own, such as cleaning your gutters, cleaning up your yard, replacing your HVAC filter and more. Leave the more complex tasks to the professionals.
Take a look around—is your new home prepared to take on the crisp fall months? Now is the time to tackle last-minute repairs and other items. Here are six fall maintenance tips from experienced custom home builders in Sonoma County, CA:
- Check your gutters and downspouts: Gutters and downspouts on a brand new home are currently in great condition—keep them that way! Before rainstorms hit, make sure your gutters are free of leaves, twigs and other debris. Water needs to be able to flow through gutters and downspouts easily. Otherwise, it can back up and pool on the roof. Check that all downspouts are positioned to move water away from your home’s foundation, other structures or garden beds.
- Take a look at your roof: Your roof may be new, but you should still be on the lookout for damage and other issues before and during the stormy season. If you have tall trees with branches hanging over your roof, check that they are not dragging across the shingles. Strong winds can blow low-hanging branches back and forth, up and down—this is not great for roofing. Trim nearby trees, and look for any loose shingles.
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors: Although it’s recommended that you test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms every six months, it doesn’t hurt to perform tests seasonally. Replace batteries in devices at least once a year. Even if you have smoke detectors that last 10 years, meaning battery replacement is not necessary, don’t forget to test those, too.
- Get a handle on your yard: Fall is a good time to clean up your yard. Rake fallen leaves, compost dead summer vegetable plants and regularly scan the ground for sizable pieces of tree debris. Trim shrubs and trees, and watch for signs of disease throughout the season.
- Inspect seals around doors and windows: Hot air from your furnace can escape if your house is sealed poorly, and that can result in a lot of energy waste this fall. Inspect the areas around your home’s windows and doors. Gaps between frames and walls should have a proper seal. Seal any gaps by re-caulking and replacing weather stripping.
- Schedule a furnace inspection: You’ll probably start using your home’s heating system in the late fall. Before you power it on, make sure the unit is clean and good to go. Schedule a professional furnace inspection and cleaning early in the fall to avoid potential problems.
If you’re ready to build the home of your dreams, be sure to contact the most experienced home builders in Sonoma County, CA. Call ABA Custom Homes Inc. today to learn more about what we can do for you!
Categorised in: home builders